Sunday, July 4, 2010

BELARUS - 2010 calendar card with painting of Old Minsk

Painting from the belarussian artist Vladimir SHARKOV showing a panorama of the top and anciant part of Minsk.

In the center of the picture, the cathedral of the Holy Spirit :

Built in 1642 to serve Bernadine nuns, the convent’s consecration was delayed for 40 years because of the Muscovite invasions. In 1741 the original structure was damaged by fire but later reconstructed. The convent was liquidated in 1852 and the building given to the Russian church for use as a monastery - but half a century later it was closed altogether by the Bolsheviks. Today after ongoing renovations, the church is a pleasant stop.

Also on the picture, on right side, the city hall and the cathedral of Saint Virgin Mary.


Postcard sent by Clara, as "Clara89"
Private swap - Reference BY003

2010 Belarus calendar card with painting of Old Minsk


No comments:

Post a Comment