Tuesday, August 31, 2010

POLAND - UNESCO sites

Properties inscribed on the World Heritage List

Cultural

  • Auschwitz Birkenau
    German Nazi Concentration and Extermination Camp (1940-1945) (1979)
  • Castle of the Teutonic Order in Malbork (1997)
  • Centennial Hall in Wrocław (2006)
  • Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica (2001)
  • Cracow's Historic Centre (1978)
  • Historic Centre of Warsaw (1980)
  • Kalwaria Zebrzydowska: the Mannerist Architectural and Park Landscape Complex and Pilgrimage Park (1999)
  • Medieval Town of Toruń (1997)
  • Muskauer Park / Park Mużakowski (2004)
  • Old City of Zamość (1992)
  • Wieliczka Salt Mine (1978)
  • Wooden Churches of Southern Little Poland (2003)

Natural

  • Belovezhskaya Pushcha / Białowieża Forest (1979)

Properties submitted on the Tentative List

  • Gdansk - Town of Memory and Freedom (2005)
  • Bialowieza National Park - extension, modification (2006)
  • The Augustów Canal (Kanal Augustowski) (2006)
  • The Dunajec River Gorge in the Pieniny Mountains (2006)
  • Royal Salt Mines in Wieliczka and Bochnia (extension to the Wieliczka Salt Mine) (2010)
  • Wooden Tserkvas of Carpathian Region in Poland and Ukraine (2010)



Postcard sent by Boguslaw, as "Bodexs"
Private swap - Reference PL002

UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Poland :
Malbork Castle, Torun Old town, Krakow Old Town, Warsaw Old Town
Zamosc Old Town, Park Muzakowsk, Wieliczka Salt Mine,
Auschwitz Birkenau Nazi Camp, Zalwaria Zebrzydowska Pilgimmage Complex,
Wooden Churches of Little Poland Debno, Bialowieza Forest,
Churches of Peace Jawor and Swidnica, Wroclaw Centennial Hall

dziękuję



Monday, August 30, 2010

MAURITIUS - Le Morne




Le Morne Brabant is a peninsula at the extreme south-western tip of Mauritius and the most windward side of the island. It is highlighted by an eponymous single standing basaltic rock with a summit of 556 metres above sea level which belongs to the most imposing sight on Mauritius. The summit covers an area of more than 12 hectares. There are many overhanging caves at the steep slopes. It is surrounded by a lagoon and is a famous tourist attraction. It is also one of the last three refuges of one of the rarest plants in the world, the Mandrinette. Another rare plant which grows only on the sides of the mountain is Trochetia boutoniana.

This hill became well-known in the 19th century when runaway slaves used Le Morne Brabant as a hideaway. After the abolishment of slavery on Mauritius, a police expedition traveled to the rock on 1 February 1835 to tell the slaves that they are free people. However, the slaves misunderstood the expedition and jumped to death. Since then, this day is celebrated by Mauritian creoles as Annual Commemoration of the Abolition of Slavery.

The peninsula of Le Morne benefits from a micro-climate.

Le Morne Brabant Mountain was submitted to the candidate list of the World Heritage sites in 2003. In 2008, the nomination process concluded when UNESCO inscribed the site on the World Heritage List.




UNESCO World Heritage Site :

LE MORNE CULTURAL LANDSCAPE

Date of inscription : 2008

UNESCO brief description :

Le Morne Cultural Landscape, a rugged mountain that juts into the Indian Ocean in the southwest of Mauritius was used as a shelter by runaway slaves, maroons, through the 18th and early years of the 19th centuries. Protected by the mountain’s isolated, wooded and almost inaccessible cliffs, the escaped slaves formed small settlements in the caves and on the summit of Le Morne. The oral traditions associated with the maroons, have made Le Morne a symbol of the slaves’ fight for freedom, their suffering, and their sacrifice, all of which have relevance to the countries from which the slaves came - the African mainland, Madagascar, India, and South-east Asia. Indeed, Mauritius, an important stopover in the eastern slave trade, also came to be known as the “Maroon republic” because of the large number of escaped slaves who lived on Le Morne Mountain.


__________________________________________________

Postcard sent by Gisela from Italy, as "proteainRome"
Private swap - Reference PU001

Ile Maurice - "Le Morne"

Grazie / Thanks

MAURITIUS - UNESCO sites

Properties inscribed on the World Heritage List

Cultural

  • Aapravasi Ghat (2006)
  • Le Morne Cultural Landscape (2008)

Properties submitted on Tentative List

  • Le Morne Brabant Mountain (2003)
  • Black River Georges National Park (2006)

MAURITIUS - Country profile

Although known to Arab and Malay sailors as early as the 10th century,
Mauritius was first explored by the Portuguese in the 16th century
and subsequently settled by the Dutch
- who named it in honor of Prince Maurits van NASSAU -
in the 17th century. The French assumed control in 1715,
developing the island into an important naval base
overseeing Indian Ocean trade,
and establishing a plantation economy of sugar cane.
The British captured the island in 1810, during the Napoleonic Wars.
Mauritius remained a strategically important British naval base,
and later an air station, playing an important role during World War II
for anti-submarine and convoy operations,
as well as the collection of signals intelligence.
Independence from the UK was attained in 1968.
A stable democracy with regular free elections
and a positive human rights record,
the country has attracted considerable foreign investment
and has earned one of Africa's highest per capita incomes.
Recent poor weather, declining sugar prices, and declining textile
and apparel production, have slowed economic growth,
leading to some protests over standards of living in the Creole community.



Flag of MAURITIUS
:



The flag of Mauritius was adopted upon independence, March 12, 1968. It consists of four horizontal stripes of equal width, colored (from top to bottom) red, blue, yellow, and green :

  • Red : for the blood shed in the struggle for independence
  • Blue : the Indian Ocean, in the middle of which Mauritius is situated
  • Yellow : the new light of independence shining over the island and the golden sunshine
  • Green : the lush vegetation of the island.

The flag was recorded at the College of Arms in London on 9 January 1968.



National Anthem of MAURITIUS
:

video

"Motherland"

Words by : Jean Georges Prosper
Music by : Philippe Gentil
Adopted : 1968

The music for "Motherland" was composed by Philippe Gentil, a member of the Mauritius Police Force's band. However, upon publication in a national newspaper, the band master, Philippe Oh San was erroneously credited as being the composer.

The lyrics were written by Jean Georges Prosper.

The anthem is short and briefly describes the lucious landscape of Mauritius. It also mentions the qualities of its people : peace, justice, and liberty.

English lyrics :

Glory to thee, Motherland,
O motherland of mine.
Sweet is thy beauty,
Sweet is thy fragrance,
Around thee we gather
As one people,
As one nation,
In peace, justice and liberty.
Beloved country, may God bless thee
For ever and ever.





Location :

Southern Africa, island in the Indian Ocean, east of Madagascar.





Maps :






Area :

Total : 2 040 sq km
Land : 2 030
sq km
Water : 10 sq km
Note : includes Agalega Islands, Cargados Carajos Shoals (Saint Brandon), and Rodrigues.


Coastline :

177 km

Elevation extremes :

Lowest point : Indian Ocean 0 m
Highest point : Mont Piton 828 m


Terrain :

Small coastal plain rising to discontinuous mountains encircling central plateau.

Natural resources :

Arable land, fish.

Climate :

Current weather : tropical, modified by southeast trade winds; warm, dry winter (May to November) ; hot, wet, humid summer (November to May).





Population :

1 284 264 (2010 estimation)

Nationality :

Demonym : Mauritian

Ethnic groups :

Indo-Mauritian 68%, Creole 27%, Sino-Mauritian 3%, Franco-Mauritian 2%.

Religions :

Hindu 48%, Roman Catholic 23.6%, Muslim 16.6%, other Christian 8.6%, other 2.5%, unspecified 0.3%, none 0.4% (2000 census).

Languages :

Creole 80.5%, Bhojpuri 12.1%, French 3.4%, English (official ; spoken by less than 1% of the population), other 3.7%, unspecified 0.3% (2000 census).






Country name :

Conventional long form : Republic of Mauritius
Conventional short form : Mauritius
Local long form : Republic of Mauritius
Local short form : Mauritius

ISO country code :

mu

Government type :

Parliamentary democracy.

Capital :

Port Louis (population of city : 147 688 -2003- Largest city in Mauritius)


Other major cities :
Beau Bassin and Rose Hill, Vacoas-Phoenix, Curepipe, Quatre Bornes.


Administrative divisions :

The island of Mauritius itself is divided into nine districts :

  1. Black River (Capital : Bambous)
  2. Flacq (Capital : Centre de Flacq)
  3. Grand Port (Capital : Mahébourg)
  4. Moka (Capital : Quartier Militaire)
  5. Pamplemousses (Capital : Triolet)
  6. Plaines Wilhems (Capital : Beau Bassin and Rose Hill, Phoenix)
  7. Port Louis (Capital of Mauritius)
  8. Rivière du Rempart (Capital : Mapou)
  9. Savanne (Capital : Souillac)




Dependencies
  • Rodrigues, an island 560 kilometres (350 mi) north-east of Mauritius, which attained limited autonomy in October 2002. It had the status of the 10th administrative district of Mauritius before autonomy was attained.
  • Agalega, two small islands about 933 kilometres north of Mauritius, famous for supplying chickens.
  • Cargados Carajos, also known as the Saint Brandon islands, about 402 kilometres north of Mauritius.

Independance :
12 March 1968 (from the UK).

National holiday :

Independence Day, 12 March
.

Constitution :

12 March 1968 ; amended 12 March 1992.

Executive branch :

Chief of state : President Sir Anerood JUGNAUTH (since 7 October 2003) ; Vice President Angidi Veeriah CHETTIAR (since 24 August 2007).



Head of government : Prime Minister Navinchandra RAMGOOLAM (since 5 July 2005).

Cabinet : Council of Ministers appointed by the president on the recommendation of the prime minister.

Elections : president and vice president elected by the National Assembly for five-year terms (eligible for a second term) ; elections last held on 19 September 2008 (next to be held in 2013) ; prime minister and deputy prime minister appointed by the president, responsible to the National Assembly.

Election results : Sir Anerood JUGNAUTH reelected president by unanimous vote ; percent of vote by the National Assembly - NA%.

Legislative branch :

Unicameral National Assembly (70 seats; 62 members elected by popular vote, 8 appointed by the election commission to give representation to various ethnic minorities ; members to serve five-year terms).

Judicial branch :


Supreme Court.





Currency :

Currency Mauritian rupee (MUR)





Agriculture products :


Sugarcane, tea, corn, potatoes, bananas, pulses, cattle, goats, fish.

Industries :

Food processing (largely sugar milling), textiles, clothing, mining, chemicals, metal products, transport equipment, nonelectrical machinery, tourism.

Exports partners :

UK 25.55%, France 16.89%, US 9.51%, Italy 5.68%, UAE 5.47%, Belgium 4.93%, Madagascar 4.11% (2009).

Imports partners :


India 24.5%, France 14.02%, South Africa 8.55%, China 8.17% (2009).

Saturday, August 28, 2010

COSTA RICA - White faced monkey



The White-headed Capuchin (Cebus capucinus), also known as the White-faced Capuchin or White-throated Capuchin, is a medium-sized New World monkey of the family Cebidae, subfamily Cebinae. Native to the forests of Central America and the extreme north-western portion of South America, the White-headed Capuchin is important to rainforestpollen. ecology for its role in dispersing seeds and

Among the best known monkeys, the White-headed Capuchin is recognized as the typical companion to the organ grinder. In recent years the species has become popular in North American media. It is a highly intelligent monkey and has been trained to assist paraplegic persons.It has a distinctive prehensile tail that is often carried coiled up and is used to help support the monkey when it is feeding beneath a branch. It is a medium-sized monkey, weighing up to 3.9 kg. It is mostly black, but with a pink face and white on much of the front part of the body, giving it its common name.

In the wild, the White-headed Capuchin is versatile, living in many different types of forest, and eating many different types of food, including fruit, other plant material, invertebrates, and small vertebrates. It lives in troops that can exceed 20 animals and include both males and females. It is noted for its tool use, including rubbing plants over its fur in an apparent use of herbal medicine, and also using tools as weapons and for getting to food. It is a long-lived monkey, with a maximum recorded age of over 54 years.


The White-headed Capuchin is found in much of Central America and a small portion of South America. In Central America, its range includes much of Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama. It has also been reported to occur in eastern Guatemala and southern Belize, but these reports are unconfirmed. In South America the White-headed Capuchin is found in the extreme north-western strip between the Pacific Ocean and the Andes Mountains in Colombia and northwestern Ecuador. It is among the most commonly seen monkeys in Central America's national parks, such as Manuel Antonio National Park, Corcovado National Park, Santa Rosa National Park and Soberania National Park.

It is found in many different types of forest, including mature and secondary forests, and including evergreen and deciduous forests, dry and moist forests, and mangrove and montane forests. However, it appears to prefer primary or advanced secondary forests. Also, higher densities of White-headed Capuchins are found in older areas of forest and in areas containing evergreen forest, as well as areas with more water availability during the dry season.


Scientific classification
Kingdom : Animalia
Phylum : Chordata
Class : Mammalia
Order : Primates
Family : Cebidae
Genus : Cebus
Species : C. capucinus
Binomial name
Cebus capucinus
(Linnaeus, 1758)
Distribution of Cebus capucinus
__________________________________________________

Postcard sent by Laura, as "LauraCR"
Private swap - Reference CR004

Mono cara blanca
White faced monkey
Singe capucin
(Cebus capucinus)

Muchas gracias

COSTA RICA - Golden toads mating




The golden toad (Bufo periglenes) was a small, shiny, bright true toad that was once abundant in a small region of high-altitude cloud-covered tropical forests, about 30 square kilometers in area, above the city of Monteverde, Costa Rica. For this reason, it is sometimes also called the Monteverde golden toad, or the Monte Verde toad. Other common English names include Alajuela toad and orange toad. They were first described in 1966 by the herpetologist Jay Savage. Since May 15, 1989, not a single B. periglenes is reported to have been seen anywhere in the world, and it is classified by the IUCN as an extinct species. Its sudden extinction is cited as part of the decline in amphibian populations, which may be attributable to a fungal epidemic specific to amphibians or other factors, combined or acting independently.

The golden toad was one of more than 500 species in the family Bufonidae — the "true toads". B. periglenes inhabited northern Costa Rica’s Monteverde Cloud Forest Preserve, distributed over an area of roughly 10 square kilometres at an average elevation of 1.5 kilometres.

Adult males measured just barely 5 centimetres long. Males have been described as being "Day-Glo golden orange", and unlike most toads their skin was shiny and bright. Jay Savage was so surprised upon first seeing them that he did not believe they could be real ; he is quoted as saying : "I must confess that my initial response when I saw them was one of disbelief and suspicion that someone had dipped the examples in enamel paint." Exhibiting sexual dimorphism, female toads were slightly larger than the males, and looked very different. Instead of being bright orange, females were colored dark olive to black with scarlet spots encircled by yellow.

Scientific classification
Kingdom : Animalia
Phylum : Chordata
Class : Amphibia
Order : Anura
Family : Bufonidae
Genus : Bufo
Species : B. periglenes
Binomial name
Bufo periglenes
Savage, 1966
__________________________________________________

Postcard sent by Laura, as "LauraCR"
Private swap - Reference CR005

Sapos dorados
Golden toads mating
Crapauds dorés
(Bufo periglenes)

Muchas gracias

Thursday, August 26, 2010

USA - Six flags over Texas



USA stamps :











Location of TEXAS in USA :




Texas is the second-largest U.S. state by both area and population, and the largest state in the contiguous United States. The name, meaning "friends" or "allies" in Caddo, was applied by the Spanish to the Caddo themselves and to the region of their settlement in East Texas. Located in the South Central United States, Texas is bordered by Mexico to the south, New Mexico to the west, Oklahoma to the north, Arkansas to the northeast, and Louisiana to the east.

Houston is the largest city in Texas and the fourth-largest in the United States.

Texas is nicknamed the Lone Star State to signify Texas as an independent republic and as a reminder of the state's struggle for independence from Mexico. The "Lone Star" can be found on the Texas State Flag and on the Texas State Seal today.

Due to its size and geologic features such as the Balcones Fault, Texas contains diverse landscapes that resemble both the American South and Southwest. Although Texas is popularly associated with the Southwestern deserts, less than 10% of the land area is desert. Most of the population centers are located in areas of former prairies, grasslands, forests, and the coastline. Traveling from east to west, one can observe terrain that ranges from coastal swamps and piney woods, to rolling plains and rugged hills, and finally the desert and mountains of the Big Bend.

The term "six flags over Texas" came from the several nations that had ruled over the territory. Spain was the first European country to claim the area of Texas. France held a short-lived colony in Texas. Mexico controlled the territory until 1836 when Texas won its independence, becoming an independent Republic. In 1845 it joined the United States as the 28th state. The state's annexation set off a chain of events that caused the Mexican–American War in 1846. A slave state, Texas declared its secession from the United States in early 1861, joining the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War. After the war and its restoration to the Union, Texas entered a long period of economic stagnation.

One Texas industry that thrived after the Civil War was cattle. Due to its long history as a center of the industry, Texas is associated with the image of the cowboy. The state's economic fortunes changed in the early 1900s, when oil discoveries initiated an economic boom in the state. With strong investments in universities, Texas developed a diversified economy and high tech industry in the mid twentieth century. With a growing base of industry, the state leads in many industries, including agriculture, petrochemicals, energy, computers and electronics, aerospace, and biomedical sciences.

__________________________________________________

Postcard sent by Steven, as "RockChalker"
Postcrossing - Reference US-794672

TEXAS - The Lone Star State.
It is one of the most recognized nicknames of any state.
It comes from the symbolism of the star on the 1836 flag of the Républic

Thanks

Monday, August 23, 2010

PORTUGAL - Costa Nova : Ilhavo



PORTUGAL stamp :



Location of ILHAVO in PORTUGAL :



COSTA NOVA

The beach of Costa Nova do Prado, also known simply as Costa Nova, is located on the west coast of Portugal on the shoreline of the Ria de Aveiro. Administratively located in the city of Aveiro, such as Barra, and in the tourist Rota da Lyz / Centre Region.

Had its origin in the opening bar of the estuary in the year 1808. The appointment is due to two facts. The first, "Costa Nova" as opposed to the "Old Coast" (San Jacinto). Secondly due to the fact that this place, that there was a huge, green meadow.

It is one of the excellent Portugese beaches for water sports, awnin a sailing club. We often see a lot of windsurfers, kite and other similar sports.

The ex-libris of this beach are the "haystacks" - houses painted with vertical stripes interspersed with vivid colors and cheerful.


___________

ILHAVO

Ilhavo is a Portugese town, situated in the district of Aveiro, and the Central Subregion Baixo Vouga, with about 17 000 inhabitants (city).

It is the seat of a municipality divided in four parishes. The municipality is divided into three arms of the Ria de Aveiro and is bordered to the north and northeast by the city of Aveiro and south of Vagos.

The county received its first charter from King Denis on 13 October 1296 and was elevated to city on August 9, 1990.

The city is famous for tis porcelain industry in Vista Alegre.

The city of Ilhavo encompasses two cities : Gafanha of Nazare and Aveiro.

The beach of Costa Nova do Prado is also one of the places of excellence of the municipality.
The typical houses of this beach (known as barns), characterized by wooden or concrete facades, listed with bright, cheerful colors, alternating with white.

Ilhavo is deeply tied to the cod fishery and the majority of masters were from the village.

The connections of Ilhavo with the sea can be seen at the Maritime Museum of Ilhavo.


__________________________________________________

Postcard sent by Alice, as "paisdasmaravilhas"
Postcrossing - Reference PT-135228

Costa Nova - Ilhavo - Portugal

Obrigado

Friday, August 20, 2010

ITALY - Domodossola and Calvario Mountain



Location of DOMODOSSOLA in ITALY



DOMODOSSOLA


Domodossola (Lombard and Piedmontese : Dòm) is a city in the Province of Verbano-Cusio-Ossola, in the region of Piedmont, northern Italy. It was also known as Oscela, Oscella, Oscella dei Leponzi, Ossolo, Ossola Lepontiorum, and Domo d'Ossola (because it is in the Ossola valley).

SACRO MONTE CALVARIO - SACRI MONTI

The Sacred Mountain of Domodossola (also known as Sacro Monte Calvario) is a Roman Catholic sanctuary on the Mattarella Hill, overlooking Domodossola (Piedmont, northern Italy). It is one of the nine Sacri Monti of Piedmont and Lombardy, included in the UNESCO World Heritage list.

It was built in 1657 in response to the wishes of the Capuchin friars, Gioacchino da Cassano and Andrea da Rho. The chapels, dedicated to the Via Crucis, are positioned along a devotional route which starts on the outskirts of Domodossola and ends at the summit of Mount Mattarella. The sanctuary on the summit was consecrated in 1690 and in 1828 the philosopher priest, Antonio Rosmini, founded the Institute of Charity. Over the centuries the Sacred Mountain has undergone various modifications, rebuilding and restoration including, in 1957, the wooden statues in chapels 3, 5, 6 and 7.




UNESCO World Heritage Site :

SACRI MONTI OF PIEDMONT AND LOMBARDY

Date of inscription : 2003

UNESCO brief description :

The nine Sacri Monti (Sacred Mountains) of northern Italy are groups of chapels and other architectural features created in the late 16th and 17th centuries and dedicated to different aspects of the Christian faith. In addition to their symbolic spiritual meaning, they are of great beauty by virtue of the skill with which they have been integrated into the surrounding natural landscape of hills, forests and lakes. They also house much important artistic material in the form of wall paintings and statuary.

The nine Sacri Monti :

  • The Sacro Monte or Nuova Gerusalemme (New Jerusalem) of Varallo Sesia (1486), Varallo Sesia, province of Vercelli
  • The Sacro Monte of Santa Maria Assunta, Serralunga di Crea (1589), province of Alessandria
  • The Sacro Monte of San Francesco, Orta San Giulio (1590), province of Novara
  • The Sacro Monte of the Rosary, Varese (1598)
  • The Sacro Monte of the Blessed Virgin, Oropa (1617), province of Biella
  • The Sacro Monte of the Blessed Virgin of Succour, Ossuccio (1635), province of Como
  • The Sacro Monte of the Holy Trinity, Ghiffa (1591), province of Verbano-Cusio-Ossola
  • The Sacro Monte and Calvary, Domodossola (1657), province of Verbano-Cusio-Ossola
  • The Sacro Monte of Belmonte, Valperga (1712), province of Turin
__________________________________________________

Postcard sent by Chiara, as "chiarandino"
Private swap - Reference IT006

Domodossola and Calvario Mountain

Grazie

ITALY - Cinque Terre : Vernazza



Location of VERNAZZA in ITALY



VERNAZZA

Vernazza is a town located in the province of La Spezia, Liguria, northwestern Italy. It is one of the five towns in the Cinque Terre region.

Vernazza is the fourth town heading north into the Cinque Terre. It has no car traffic (a road leads into a parking lot on the edge of the town) and remains one the truest "fishing villages" on the Italian Riviera.

CINQUE TERRE

The Cinque Terre is a rugged portion of coast on the Italian Riviera. It is in the Liguria region of Italy, to the west of the city of La Spezia. "The Five Lands" comprises five villages: Monterosso al Mare, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola, and Riomaggiore.

The coastline, the five villages, and the surrounding hillsides are all part of the Cinque Terre National Park and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The Cinque Terre is noted for its beauty. Over centuries, people have carefully built terraces on the rugged, steep landscape right up to the cliffs that overlook the sea. Part of its charm is the lack of visible "modern" development. Paths, trains and boats connect the villages, and cars cannot reach it from the outside. It is a very popular tourist destination.

In 1998 the Italian Ministry for the Environment set up the Protected natural marine area Cinque Terre to protect the natural environment and to promote socio-economical development compatible with the natural landscape of the area.

In 1999 the Parco Nazionale delle Cinque Terre was set up to conserve the ecological balance, protect the landscape, and safeguard the anthropological values of the location.




UNESCO World Heritage Site :

PORTOVENERE, CINQUE TERRE
AND THE ISLAND (PALMARIA, TINO AND TINETTO)

Date of inscription : 1997

UNESCO brief description :

The Ligurian coast between Cinque Terre and Portovenere is a cultural landscape of great scenic and cultural value. The layout and disposition of the small towns and the shaping of the surrounding landscape, overcoming the disadvantages of a steep, uneven terrain, encapsulate the continuous history of human settlement in this region over the past millennium.

__________________________________________________

Postcard sent by Chiara, as "chiarandino"
Private swap - Reference IT005

Riviera Ligure
VERNAZZA
Le Cinque Terre
Parrocchia S. Maria di Antiochia

Grazie

ITALY - Urbino : panorama



ITALY stamp



Location of URBINO in ITALY



Urbino is a walled city in the Marche region in Italy, south-west of Pesaro, a World Heritage Site notable for a remarkable historical legacy of independent Renaissance culture, especially under the patronage of Federico da Montefeltro, duke of Urbino from 1444 to 1482. The town, nestled on a high sloping hillside, retains much of its picturesque medieval aspect, only slightly marred by the large car parks below the town. It hosts the University of Urbino, founded in 1506, and is the seat of the Archbishop of Urbino. Its best-known architectural piece is the Palazzo Ducale, rebuilt by Luciano Laurana.




UNESCO World Heritage Site :

HISTORIC CENTRE OF URBINO

Date of inscription : 1998

UNESCO brief description :

The small hill town of Urbino, in the Marche, experienced a great cultural flowering in the 15th century, attracting artists and scholars from all over Italy and beyond, and influencing cultural developments elsewhere in Europe. Owing to its economic and cultural stagnation from the 16th century onwards, it has preserved its Renaissance appearance to a remarkable extent.

__________________________________________________

Postcard sent by Chiara, as "chiarandino"
Private swap - Reference IT004

URBINO - Panorama

Grazie